Sunday, March 16, 2008

bill & hillary


i stumbled on the story of how bill & hillary got married & thought i'd share. i don't care what your political view is, it's such a cute story.

It all began in the library for Hillary and Bill. "I noticed that he kept looking over at me," Hillary says. "He had been doing a lot of that." After exchanging several looks back and forth, Hillary stood up and walked over to Bill. "I said 'If you're going to keep looking at me, and I'm going to keep looking back, we might as well be introduced -- I'm Hillary Rodham," she says. "The way Bill tells the story, he couldn't remember his own name."

After her graduation from law school, Bill took Hillary on her first trip to Europe. The two landed in London, and Bill guided Hillary through all the city sites. As the sun was setting that first day, the couple found themselves standing on the shores of Lake Ennerdale and Bill proposed. "I was desperately in love with him but utterly confused about my life and future," Hillary says. "So I said 'No not now' -- what I meant was 'Give me time.'" Bill proposed again and again, and Hillary always said no.

After school, Hillary moved to Arkansas. Not set on a career path, she decided to take a trip home to Chicago and to the East Coast to visit friends and check out prospective job offers. On the way to the airport, she and Bill passed a red brick house near the university with a "For Sale" sign out front. "I casually mentioned that it was a sweet-looking little house and never gave it a second thought," Hillary says. After a few weeks of travel, Hillary returned to Arkansas. When she landed at the airport, Bill was there to pick her up and said, "Do you remember that house you liked? Well, I bought it, so now you'd better marry me because I can't live in it by myself." That time, Hillary said yes.

Hillary and Bill married in the living room of their new home on October 11, 1975. A local Methodist minister and his wife officiated the ceremony as 15 of their closest friends and family looked on. Following the intimate ceremony, Hillary and Bill's friends hosted a reception in their backyard where a few hundred friends gathered to celebrate.

0 Responses: